Tuesday, July 30, 2013

DIY Gold Leaf Agate Coasters

I fell in love with these Jonathan Adler coasters when I visited the Newport Beach store earlier this month, but the $125 price tag for four coasters was less than appealing. 

I'm pretty sure I squealed when I saw these Threshold faux agate coasters at Target for just $10, and I had grand plans for them.



After purchasing a gold leafing kit from Michaels for $10, I was ready to glam-ify my coasters. The kit includes an adhesive, four gold leaf sheets, and a sealant. 

Step 1: Apply Adhesive with a brush (I used an old eyeshadow brush) where you want to apply the gold leaf. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, until it becomes tacky. 


Step 2: Take one sheet of your gold leaf and press it onto the edge of each coaster.



Step 3: Gently peel the extra sheet off from around the edges and use the remainder of the sheet on the other coasters. I only used 1 1/2 sheets on all four coasters.

Here's how they look after step 3.


Step 4: Apply the sealer with the same brush to the edges of each coaster to secure the gold leaf, and let dry. It will add a creamy look to the edges (pictured), but it dries completely clear.

...And Voila!













No comments:

Post a Comment