Thursday, November 29, 2012

Nordstrom Tomato Soup & Coconut Crusted Fish

My go-to, fairly easy soup recipe has been on heavy rotation this Fall! I found this recipe for Nordstrom's Tomato Basil soup awhile back and absolutely love it. 


The recipe can be found here. I do make a few changes when I make this soup. 1. I do not use any heavy cream. 2. I use a shit load of crushed garlic...usually about 8 cloves per batch. I love that this recipe uses carrots, so it's packed with veggies. After it's ready, I top the soup with a few basil leaves =) 

Coconut crusted cod over a bed of spinach, topped with homemade dijon vinaigrette


Sometimes I run out of ideas for clean dinner ideas, as I'm not the kind who enjoys eating plain meats with plain veggies. I love experimenting with different spices and (healthy) sauces. I came up with this recipe on my own, and I'm impressed by how well it turned out! 
It's pretty easy to prepare. Here's what you'll need:

-White fish (I used cod fillets)
-Spinach
-Shredded coconut
-Almond Flour (I use this in place of flour)
-Cumin
-Curry Powder
-Cayenne Pepper
-1 egg
-Dijon or Hot mustard (with no sugar--finding one with only a few ingredients is tricky!)
-Balsamic vinegar
-Olive oil

First, whisk an egg in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix about 1/2 a cup of coconut flour with about 1/8 cup of almond flour, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, cumin, and curry powder. Dip the fillets (I made two) in the egg, then drench in the coconut mixture. Place in a baking dish, and bake for 15 minutes @ 375 degrees. Meanwhile, whisk together 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, a teeny tiny bit of olive oil, and 1/2 a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar. Once the fish is done, place it on top of a bed of spinach. Top with the Dijon vinaigrette. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I love Nordstrom's cafe! I love to eat there any chance I get! The soup is one of my faves :)

    ReplyDelete